Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Top 10 Tuesday (3): Settings I Want to See More of

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme from the Broke and the Bookish

So here are the top ten settings I want to see more of...
... Desert picture, Lone Palm Sahara Desert photo, Lone Palm Sahara Desert
1. Deseret fantasy worlds or more like The Assassin’s Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke. I have gotten really tired of all the medievalish fantasy worlds out there. It gets boring after a while, but making a fantasy world that has deserts and is basically a fantasy version of Ancient Persia is awesome.

2. Farms. There is a lot of potential for great character development by sticking people in such close quarters for unlimited amounts of time.

3. Asia. Specifically Japan, South Korea, or India. I couldn't pick just one so I combined them by going with the continent. These countries have rich histories, mythologies, and current cultures that would help make some amazing stories. Besides doesn't Europe need a break from being the center of attention?

4. Other Planets. Sci-fi stories would be a great pace for this. The world building would need to be tight because of all of the thought that must go behind the technology they would have to use to survive on the planet. Also this would make for wonderful political intrigue stories.

5. The After-Life. Everyone’s interpretation is different and it can be mind-blowing when a really creative person sets their story in their version of the after life. There are so many different possibilities and everyone’s depiction is sure to be different.

6.  Circuses. They are a bunch of fun. Also who didn't want to go to the circus when they were a kid? There are also so many interesting characters already there just by virtue of their job. Not to mention the descriptions of the circus acts themselves would be pretty cool. Also like I said with the farm great character development opportunities.

7. Pirate Ships. Must any more be said? Pirates are pure wit and badassery, also you can imagine that the main guy looks like Johnny Depp. Also pirates make some of the most interesting characters in history.

8. Ireland. I admit this one is mostly because I want to have more Fearie stories. I don’t mean the little cute ones with tiny wings; no I mean the human sized manipulative ones they are so much fun to watch. Not to mention the fact that their wit is terrifying,

9. Russia. Especially in winter in Moscow. That has to be so beautiful. I can definitely picture that being so romantic. It also has one of the more definite cultures of Europe. Exploring that would be fun to see.

10. Retellings. I know retellings aren't technically settings but I am counting them. It is a true art to create a new place and story while still staying true to the essence of the old one.

I do realize that a lot of these sort of sound like pitches, but I really want to see these places more. So authors get to writing, please. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Love your list! All about retellings, circuses, and the after life one would be good. I've actually got such a story rolling around in my head, though I probably won't write it for awhile. Too many other projects. Speaking of, I have a historical fiction set in medieval Russia (Ivan the Terrible) coming out this September. I give updates (including a countdown widget) on my blog. Just sayin'. :D
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great list. I never thought about them until now and, now that I did, I too would love to see these settings. Asia and circuses are my favorite on your list. :D

    ReplyDelete