Monday, January 7, 2013

Manga Monday (1): Hetalia: Axis Powers Vol. 1






During World War I, gruff Germany finds Italy hiding in a wooden box of tomatoes. Germany takes Italy as prisoner, but instead of war-like interrogation, Italy becomes more of the nuisance and unwanted guest. World War I quickly comes to an end, but World War II is right on its heels! This time, Italy tries his best to become friends with Germany. They soon befriend Japan,and the three of them form the Axis Powers. Meanwhile, America, who loves heroism and hamburgers, tries to form a treaty, as Great Britain reminisces about when America was his loving child!
Summary from Goodreads.





Hetalia is an okay manga. It is funny but you have to be in the right mood for it. All of the countries embody their stereotypes, but it is never taken beyond that. It is a very surface level manga. It is not meant to be taken seriously. It is comprised of short strips that take funny moments of history and heightens and explores them. The drawing is very good and it is easy to tell everyone apart. There are several styles employed throughout all being used for a different comic effect. All in all it is a good manga if you are in the mood to laugh.

I give this a B-

Don't forget about the giveaway. If you want this book just leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. That is a good summary of the series, but really quite my thing. Still, now I know more about ti than I did, so thanks!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds interesting, although maybe not in a good way. It's mostly interesting to see a manga deal with WW2. From all the Japanese people I know, WW2 is a never mentioned topic. Well, except for one friend who would show us around and point out all the things "we" bombed. :-) But he's not a typical Japanese guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hetalia is pretty popular in my school right now. Well, as popular as anime gets. Though I don't really stay updated with this, I still get excited with the promise of countries personified. Histroy geek and all. I am still eagerly awaiting for my country, Philippines, to be included in the cast.

    Thanks for sharing!

    On another note, I can understand why the Japanese don't mention it. Since our country was involved in it, I know the damage it caused.
    Gellie@ A Discombobulated Balladry

    ReplyDelete